CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Lovely Kedayan Ladies at Bekenu Tamu



My two friends from Bekenu Tamu.

This is a nice savoury glutinous rice cake wrapped in leaves.

This kuih cerolot wrapped up in the kelupis leaves (yellow screwpine)


This is a sweet rice and sago flour cake wrapped in banana leaves.

These two ladies are good friends who have been selling kuihs (local Kedayan cakes) at the Bekenu tamu for many years. Having made friends with them I have visited them often but this was the first time I suggested photographing them and they happily agreed. Please remember that not many local people like to be photographed without permission and even if you ask them they will decline especially some very suspicious and superstitious ones. So please take note of that. WE need to be sensitive about their intellectual property too.

They both sell almost the same products although one has more fried kuih than the other.

These three types are kuihs are wrapped up in three different types of leaves. Traditionally the Kedayans use leaves to wrap up their kuih and food to assure hygienic practices!! They are resourceful and environmentally friendly. In fact this really needs to be highlighted by everyone .

I find food taste better when wrapped up in leaves like this.

22 memories:

fufu said...

yeah same like nasi lemak...the pandan leaves ones always better that those only wrapped with plastic =) never been to sarawak so real would like to try the kuih there...especially the sarawak kuih lapis after i saw them in sabah =p

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Yes I started with grease proof paper wrapped nasi lemak and then gradually found the banana leaf wrapped nasi lemak...psychologically I find any food wrapped in leaves to be better like the Chinese Kuih Chang and the Lotus Leaf wrapped mushroom and chestnut rice!!
I have discovered corn leaf wrapped rice and cakes too!! Special...We Malaysians must make full use of our wonderful jungle leaves and not depend on plastics.......yum yum

William said...

Fortunately I have taken my lunch. Otherwise, I would be feeling extra hungry now. All these things look simple but they taste great!

By the way, Curtin Uni Mass Comm Students are organising a casual Miri blogger meeting this evening at 6:00PM at the Uni new aircon cafeteria. If you can come, just give me a call if you cannot find the place.

You didn't manage to make a copy of the wedding photos?

Greenspot said...

The first is wrapped in simpoh or Dillenia leaves, i believe.

Greenspot said...

The first is wrapped in simpoh or Dillenia leaves, i believe.

Bengbeng said...

it is the smell from the leaves that make it especially tasty. would love to sample them but they r so far away. r they available in Sibu..these same kuih?

I Am Sarawakiana said...

William
Thanks for the invite. Can't make it. Need someone to drive me. Next time?
Have a great time. Make the bloggers sizzle.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Greenspot...Yes you are right. Normally when I take photos I also take notes. But unfortunately I lost my notebook after the trip to Bekenu....Thanks.
Is Simpol the national flower of Brunei?

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Beng Beng
Cerolot (second picture) is quite well known in Miri and I am sure it is found in Sibu. The Sago and Rice kuih might not be found in Sibu.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Dear All

Need to do cross referencing with Suituapui.....Don't know if he reads my blog!

Greenspot said...

Sarawakiana,

Yes, the national flower of Brunei is Simpoh. I have seen the flower on its currency note. But here are many species of simpoh in Borneo besides the one we commonly encountered by roadsides and secondary forest. The common species has deep tap root which makes it able to survive in hostile environment such as beach, wasteland, etc.

Ensurai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ensurai said...

Thanks Greenspot.
I thought you could have the answer. And I am right...
The Simpor leaf is also used to wrap meat and I was told a long time ago it could slow down deterioration of meat. Could you explain this? Many of my friends used to gather the leaves and sell them to hawkers for a few cents each day.

Greenspot said...

Sarawakiana,

I am not too sure but it could be due to anti-bacterial chemical(s) from the leaves. It is interesting to note that the leaves of kepayang has similar effect that slow down deterioration of meat and is widely used in kasam. It is due to chemcial present.

Greenspot

Ensurai said...

Thanks Greenspot.
I would really like to make use of kepayang leaves in food preservation.
We need really to find a solution to the problems of weevils in hill padi. Hill rice is usually not as long lasting as lowland rice.
If you are a sago worm afficionado you would also have seen that the simpor leaves are used to wrap the worms!! Of course traditionally the sago worms are kept in coconuts!
I really get very enthusiastic when talking about using natural leaves for wrapping our food.

Ensurai said...

By the way Greenspot...what is the scientific name or any other names for Daun Long (Will do a post on this later) the leaves the Orang Ulu use to wrap their soft rice?

Thanks.

fufu said...

yeah agree!! we should go GREEN instead of using those plastic...but plastic is damn way pretty convenient!! leaves...gotta cut and wash... those businessmen in big cities wont do that i bet!! unless restaurant!

Greenspot said...

Sarawakiana,

A word of caution when you use kepayang leaves as it contain toxins. It is best to check with people who uses it for kasam on how to use it. I am not familiar with vernacular name so I need to see you photo of daun long first. The family Marantiaceae is often used for wrapping food.

Greenspot

Bengbeng said...

wat places would u suggest for benghui on a one day trip in Miri? i expect to stay in Merriot. want him to have the resort experience. but still waiting for the go signal from Mrs BB :(

It is her mum. She is sick and she cant bear to leave her alone for long periods of time even though there r others around.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Fufu
I read your blog entries - very exciting and inspiring....We should go green and back to basics. It seems modernity = plastics. What can we do?

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Beng Beng
If you are staying at Marriot - that is already a treat..however you can have a day trip to Niah - which is interesting too. But why not stay at Tropical Rainforest and get a whole lot of rainforest acivities like boat rowing...jungle trekking etc? Check their websites or go to http://jameswong.wordpress.com for some ideas of what we had.... When are you coming over? We can have a bloggers' meeting....at New Tanjong Seafood restaurant. We go Dutch usually. If halal food is required we go elsewhere.

Unknown said...

Awesome Post..

Kamus Kedayan

 

web statistics