CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 25, 2009

Ubi Belayar


I uploaded these two photos some time ago. It is amazing what one can find and buy in the Native Market every where in SArawak. There is this special Kedayan Market in Miri which is found in the new Centre Point. Most of the hawkers are Kedayans or Ibans who have come down from as far as Niah and Bekenu. It is a marvellous educational cum shopping day for the whole family.





This is Ubi Belayar - a not so common tapioca/yam found in Limbang and Brunei and sometimes in Miri.

The Kedayans love this tapioca/yam which is tasty as a fried snack or cooked in porridge with rice and coconut milk. It can be fried with ikan bilis anc chilies. Another way of eating it is boiling it with milk and sugar and then add some sago pearls.

Because not many people plant it this tapioca is not often sold in the market. When it is available most housewives would buy only about half a kilo or less. It is also more prcey than the normal types.

My information here is only based on what the lady hawker told me. Any further information would necessarily come from my learned friends who teach in the University in Brunei or working in the Ministries.

I did not buy a lot. That evening I added some small cubes of it to my fried rice (Penang style) which has sweet corn +chicken+ green peas+ pineapple+ small dried prawns + salted fish and lots of pepper)

The ubi belayar in this photo is roughly four kg.

14 memories:

Superman said...

Never try it before. Such a big Ubi. Can fill many people stomach.

Greenspot said...

Sarawakiana,

I suspect it is the tuber of a climber. If it is a climber it must be one of the species of Dioscorea. Dioscorea contains steriods and is the source of oral contraceptive.

Greenspot

Ensurai said...

Superman
Thanks for visiting...This Ubi is really big...and very hard to come by. This holiday I will try to find in Brunei and Limbang again.

Ensurai said...

Wow Greenspot. I knew you would be able to help me out.
I have yet to see its mother plant...
But its shape is sensational. I did not see the whole tuber though because by the time I took the photo it was already half gone. So I am not sure whether it has more of those "breast like protrusions".
There was only one such ubi in the market that day. However the lady said everybody likes it very much.
Interesting to know that it is the source of oral contraceptive.

fufu said...

wow... can this make ubi cha cha??

Unknown said...

When my grandfather was still alive he used to have quite a big plot of this ubi (or sweet potatoes to the Chinese) He sometimes would give to his neighbours too as a few of these would be quite a lot for eating. Sometimes too much.
When we were young we liked it in our bubor...so it is quite like our bubur char char today.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Fufu - thanks for visiting.
I am afraid I only how to use it in my fried rice (as instructed by the hawker). Thanks to Kamaliah's comment we have knowledge about it for bubur cha cha! I have actually seen this ubi once only.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Kamaliah
If ever you have any cutting I would like to have some to plant!
Thanks for dropping by.
God bless.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a climber. We used to plant it in the 60s and 70s. Not very nice to eat, but it filled the stomach. Easy to plant and maintain.Now it seems to become extinct in the Chinese villages.

chung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chung said...

Mr. Philip
You are right. It is climber. If you fry it with some batter (preferrably with egg and some rice flour too) it is quite tasty using the Malay style (some chili and pepper and even some ketumbar etc). I wonder if the Chinese in Sibu ever grew it to as big as the one in the photo.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Philip
I hope you have read Chung's comments.
Any chance of me getting a cutting from you when I come back to Sibu?
Be in touch.
Have a good Gawai shooting time!

KemBaYaU said...

I love ubi belayar :) the best di bubur n cucur... hehe


salam brunei

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Kembayau
Thanks for dropping by....Never had the ubi in porridge. Usually cucur...nice...nice...nice...

 

web statistics