CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Pinang Pinang Come Buy My Pinang!!





I saw this lady selling a huge bunch of pinang at the front of a shop in Selangau.

She has come down from Ulu Mukah to make a few ringgit and has gone into the bumiputra version of trading - sitting by a small space at a five foot way and selling whatever she has.

Today her selling item is pinang which is an addictive nut many people chew with sireh (leaves) and some kapur.

I have been told that chewing pinang gives one a long life. It is an age old cultural custom too.

12 memories:

Superman said...

I used to eat the pinang. Have to dry it first then eat it. But the one she carrying is really big and nice.Life is hard for them. Come down all the way from Ulu Mukah to Selangau to sell Pinang. Wonder how much she can make in a day...

Ensurai said...

Really. Are you a pinang eating Foochow/Hokkien?

I think the raw pinang is just prised open and then the nuts cut into small slices by a special slicer using the foot to grip...and then you would chew and try to spit the red liquid out as far as possible into the ground some where creating a bloody mess! I have amusing and fond memories of pinang eating amongst the Melanaus...

Robert Rizal Abdullah said...

Dear Chang Yi,

I think the usefulness of pinang (arecca nut) is slowly nearing its end. As the older generation is gone, the younger generation is not interested in chewing betel leaves and pinang anymore.

To save the pinang growers, new uses has to be found. I saw lots of pinang trees laden with fruits just abandoned like that. What a waste. During my younger days, every little fruit was picked.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Dear LT RM
Thanks for visiting. Miri is where you have to buy pinang for 50 sen each when there is no fruit!
Yes we need to find new usage.
I am thinking of a few seeds of pinang (dried ) in a nice pacakage as a souvenir for people to take up together with a set of pinang eating utensils.
We need to promote the old soical gathering of pinang eating as a historical-social ritual again especially to introduce to tourist...it is mentally healthy.

Thanks for your comments.

Robert Rizal Abdullah said...

Chang Yi,

What would happen, if our scientists discover an antidote for the H1N1 virus in the pinang fruit? Wow! I can see our Makciks making money out of their pinang trees!

Superman said...

I am Hakka. Not Hokkien or Foochow. The one I used to eat is white colour inside. I never spit it to the ground. Hehe.

Bengbeng said...

i am very ignorant on the pinang. first time i seen the pinang fruit or if i have seen it before i probably wouldnt have realized

I Am Sarawakiana said...

LT C RM The price of Pinang is high in Miri where it is considered premium. Else where pinang is still cheap.
We still have time to start a kebun of pinang trees and perhaps my grandchildren can sell pinang in the Sunday Market in the future as an environmentally friendly side line.
Good idea to promote more research..(already pinang loving people live longer lives...)

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Superman - I have never come across the white ones!

I Am Sarawakiana said...

Beng Beng
You must go to the Central Market - where they sell the buah pinang in small baskets at 4 or 5 per ringgit.
You can just chew slices of pinang or eat the slices with their accompaniment of sireh and kapur....
I heard such a habit is mind settling and long life giving!!

Just a Little Kindness said...

Once in a while we do take pinang - to keep awake. I like the bitter taste...and after a long time there is some bitter sweetness left.

Just something from the kampong....to keep us attached to elders.

I Am Sarawakiana said...

I am intrigued by this mystery - that Pinang could help keep people awake....I am wondering if people have studied this.

 

web statistics